Sunday, April 19, 2009

The belly rules the mind...

Eating is nice..Cooking is better..I personally feel cooking is the greatest art form. It appeals to all the senses. Come to think of it, cooking is a science as well. A fusion of science and art. Wow ! Cooking which keeps in mind the nutritional aspects of food as well is a perfect example of this fusion. My mom is a great cook. Me not so great. I learnt cooking from her. I have now been cooking for the last 2 years..ever since I have been in the US. The onions are the same..The tomatoes are the same..Even the spices look the same. But, everyday is a new experience. Everyday, I find something new, something interesting when I cook.

I dont know what makes the food taste better..The ingredients or the effort..May be both. My mom would tell me that a nice meal would always take care of all worries. Today, I am even more convinced. When someone has a delicious meal, there is a feeling of satisfaction. How often are we satisfied in life? Not often. In fact, I am quite sure that a person is most happy when she has a wonderful meal..And if that meal is self prepared or by someone who is dearly loved, it is even more delicious.

Seems apt..I end this piece with a recipe..One of my personal favorites. Pav bhaji. Heat some oil in a pan. Add finely chopped onions to this. Add a touch of ginger and garlic. Fry the onions till golden light. Add chopped capsicums (bell peppers). Prepare some tomato puree and add it to the pan. Heat for some 5 mins to bring out the flavors of the tomatoes. Then, separately mash up boiled potatoes, peas and some florets of cauliflowers. Add this now to the pan as well. Add some chilli powder and turmeric powder. Then, add the pav bhaji masala which is readily available in any Indian grocery store. Add a little water to lighten up the gravy. Cook for 15-20 mins on light flame. Add salt as per taste. Finally, add some finely chopped coriander leaves to the bhaji. Usually, people have this bhaji with lightly toasted bread (pav). Some finely chopped onions and a sprinkle of lemon. And my Pav Bhaji is ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment