Sunday, June 28, 2009

Circle of friends....

A circle of friends. Whole and complete. Encompasses all that is good. I have very few friends. Really, I can count them on my fingers. I consider myself fortunate on that account. That they are my friends. I would any day exchange a thousand acquaintances for this set. I can count on them. We obviously had our share of ups and downs. We had our differences. We had our disconnects. But, all this only goes to show the bond of our friendship. Its endurance. And above all its value.

First there is a certain Mr. Cat. He has been there all along since childhood. The earliest recollection of this stout fella goes back to the first grade. The quintessential sidekick. Chubby and vivacious. A late starter on the road to academic success. But he caught up and how. Though it would be fair to say that the last few years have indeed taken toll on his sense of humor. His laidback attitude and cat like demeanor meant that he was liked by many.
He would do anything for a 'vada pav' (the Indian version of the burger). A man of all seasons.

Then, there is Alyosha. Tall. And an amazing sense of humor. Not a single topic on this whole planet on which this guy cant crack a joke on. And among all my friends comes closest to sharing my thoughts and principles. Not all, but certainly a vast majority. Walks with him in the park were enlightening and the discussions we would have on all issues under the sun would be purposeful. An excellent gourmand of South Indian food. His views on sambar are certainly well known among all of us. Perhaps, worth mentioning is this person's ability to judge the worth of material things. If it is not worth twenty rupees, then it is certainly not. Alyosha's love for life and all good things in it is something that is amazing.

Next I would like to describe Saki. Quite a character. Wild at times and the most wonderful gentleman at others. I have known him since the times when our folks would take us toddlers to this particular garden. Great athlete many years back. I think now pleasures of the tummy have meant that he cant put in those laps as he once would. And his views on sambar are exactly opposite to those of Alyosha. Perhaps the most anecdotal incidence I can recall here concerns these two. A disagreement over how sambar should be served. No fist fights. But, yes the verbal barrage was something. Now, Something that all my other friends will agree on...This guy Saki was the first person who shocked us with abusive language..And the various styles in which one could use them. He really knew how to separate the b and m from the c. However, some event down the line meant that he turned into one of the most soft spoken persons out there.

Now, Dr Monty. Became part of the circle during the last few years of school. But, soon caught up and one could not make out that he wasnt there all along. Completely laid back. And very unassuming. The most shy guy of us all during those days. Wouldnt hurt a fly. But, he is a doc now. And I am sure a very good one at that. I havent seen him much in the last few years. But, I am sure that he is busy making sure some guy is not in pain. All of us would always take some light hearted jabs at this guy. But, he would be very sporty.

And then there is Asterix. Met him in college. So many experiences together. The most down to earth person among us lot. And arguably the most geekiest. Stylish. And a great command over language. He has been there by my side at a time when I was going through the motions and upheavals of the year before. With him at one's side, one could be assured that there is peace even amidst turmoil. A very calming influence on everyone around him. The only grouse would be his nature to procrastinate. But, really hard working once the task is at hand. I have come across very few individuals in my life so far who make up for their not so rich talents with sheer hard work and effort.

Finally, there has to be Armen. Really the kinda guy who would rollup his sleeves and get to work without any incentive or reward. The perfect jackfruit. Rugged and emotionless at the exterior. But, really sweet within. He is the sort of guy that anyone would call on in a team. And he wouldnt shirk off one bit. I have seen him work tirelessly and not get his due. And not one word of complain. The unluckiest guy during my college days I would say.

I cant thank you guys enough. I did not include your real names here. But, you know that I am thinking of you. Simply being part of my life. And enriching it with your flair and panache. My life would certainly have been deprived of many of the joyful experiences if it had not been for each of you. I have learnt many things from you. And your support has been a vital cog in the wheel of my life so far. My heartfelt thanks and well wishes to you. This circle of friends. To you I say only this. The ship sails beautifully at sea. It knows the wind is there for it....

1 comment: