Friday, June 12, 2009

In conversation with the past and the future...

It is a lovely evening. The sky is a melting pot of blue and orange. The birds are on their way back home. The trees are full of blossom. Sitting by the windowsill, I see two old faces approaching. Two friends of mine. One is called Past. The Other is Future. How long has it been since I saw them last? Ask them to join me for a cup of coffee. They gladly accept. I play some light music. And all three of us settle down for some small talk. Or graceful conversation as some would call it.

Past was the first one to speak. Asked me about some of those good old days. I simply smiled. How could I forget? My thoughts raced through time. He spoke about my childhood. My first walk..My first drawing. Days when I would laugh with freedom..I then asked him about our days at school.. And we remembered shared joys and sorrows...Ups and downs. How we would sit on the last bench. Pass comments. Mostly good natured..and lighthearted banter. I told him that I was misunderstood my many. He laughed. Said you didnt do anything to clear it, did you? I did not reply. Past continued. Asked me if I wanted to talk about college days. And I sunk lower into the couch...

Trying to avoid looking at Past, I looked at the ceiling. There was a spider up there. Slowly it was moving. Casting its web. How did it know when to turn? When to tighten the strings? I dont know. Wish it would speak to me about it.

I knew in which direction this talk was headed for? Some friendships gone sour. Rough times. How the game of success and fame captures imagination..How one does all that is needed to move ahead...Sigh. Youth realizes friendship. Real friends. Your outlook towards life is refined. A broader perspective on career. On wealth. And on relationships. And then ofcourse the great journey. I asked Past if the journey had been worthwhile so far. He gave a knowing nod. Every journey changes your life. You see new things. Learn new things. And your lessons of life are learnt again. In a different way. In a more unique way. I asked Past about his wife Memories. Said she was fine. Was at home looking after their only child Experience. Said that the child was a quick learner. And full of wisdom...

Once again my mind was diverted by the spider hanging from its web. By this time, it had woven a very intricate web. Silver threads hung on one side. And it was contemplating I think. Whether or not to continue. If what it had achieved was enough? Or was it better to have more? And what difference would it make?

I looked down again. And saw Future smiling. I asked him how he was feeling? And that he had not spoken so far. How was the coffee? A lame attempt to make conversation. He was playing along. Said he was restless. He asked me about how the week had been. I said fine. I then asked him about his two kids. Challenge and Hope. He was amused that I was asking about them. Said that Challenge was growing bigger by the day. And was getting naughty. But, Future was optimistic that in time, Challenge would ease up a little. Hope he said was cheerful. She was looking forward to meeting everyone.

It was getting dark. They got up to leave. They asked me to take care of our common friend. Her name is Present. I am living with her right now. I said I love her deeply. Not because she is beautiful. Not because she is wise. Simply because she makes me who I am. With her by my side, I know myself.

And the door closed. They both left. I looked back at the ceiling. At the spider. The web was almost complete. It was endearing. The sight of a nice little guy in the middle of his own little world. Little on the outside. From the inside, greater than the widest universe fathomable. I was smiling. It hit me then. The spider had just shown to me what the Hopi believed for too long..All dreams spin out from the same web....

No comments:

Post a Comment