Sunday, January 24, 2010

Solitude on the waterfront...

On the waterfront. I leave my office. The destination is clear and obvious. I am going to the building on the other side. It is lunch hour. A few quick strides and I should be there I say to myself. The cafeteria on the other side. Everyday I walk along this same path. A large expanse of water sits right besides my office. Ducks paddling as usual. The sky is a bit cloudy. Slight hint of a possible passing shower. I keep walking. Nothing new. I admit the scene is picturesque. Yet, I never stand and look around. I go my way. And yet, today I stand at the corner and observe. Everyday I see it from the back of my eye. It is difficult not to notice it. Right in the middle. Standing quite alone. Full of excitement. Full of energy. Yet I dont see anyone around me stand and spare a few moments for this view. Some are busy. Some appear to be busy. Others dont care. I turn to look across the waters. And there it is. Aiming to touch the sky. That solitary fountain...

Water keeps gushing at a rapid pace. I have not seen it rest to this date. White as snow. And I see so many shapes with every passing moment. The birds do not seem to mind. The old crane is busy looking for fish. The lone pelican just flies by. The fountain then throws water a few notches high. Saying hello to the pelican, are we? I shake my head. For once, it appears that the fountain has a mind of its own. A will of its own. And perhaps a heart too. I wonder. I am curious. How does the fountain keep going? And what does it achieve by throwing water continuously at some random heights every few seconds? I keep walking. Few yards away. I stop. It just dawned on me. I throw a fleeting glance on the edge of the waterfront. I can see the reflection of the trees. I can see the rocks sliding slowly. But that is not what I am looking for. Aha. There it is. The ripples across the waters. So that is the secret of the fountain I say to myself. How come I never realized it? More than a year now. I trace the origin of the ripples. Indeed. The fountain has something to say. And the waters are listening. Every leap of the fountain. Every pulse of the fountain. It tries to convey its innermost thoughts. And with every ripple across the waters, it hopes that someone will listen. Alas. The ripples die as they reach the shore. The voice is unheard. And still, the fountain keeps going higher. With every leap and every high, it thinks it might be able to get someone to listen. If only, someone would listen...

I get my lunch. On my way back, I look at the fountain one more time. There is a smile on my face. Why did I not think of this before? Ofcourse, it has to be so. And it cannot be otherwise. I was mistaken. The fountain does not want anyone to listen to it. Imagine !! The fountain wants to listen to everyone. Even in solitude, it does everything to listen to everyone. To everything. My thoughts. My feelings. My joys. My sorrows. With every ripple, the fountain tries to connect to me. Tries to listen to my inner thoughts. Even in solitude, it tries to reach out to me. It is someone whom I can confide in. My wishes. My concerns. My prayers. The fountain is listening. Absorbs everything. And then letting it out. Higher. Farther. Towards the sky, As if reaching out to some higher power. Some unknown power. Telling Him what I am thinking. Telling Him what I am feeling. I start walking. Knowing there is solitude on the waterfront. Knowing that the leap of the fountain is the leap of faith....

No comments:

Post a Comment