Sunday, January 31, 2010

Not name...but ideas...

A square shape. Yes. that is where I sit in my office. Much of the "working" world is divided into such square shapes. I wonder. Why couldnt it be circular? There would be no corners then. I stand up. I look around me. Everyone likes to believe that they are working very hard. Everyone likes to imagine that the work they are doing is important. And yet, everyone has a different experience each day at work. Some good days. Some ordinary days. Some forgettable ones. Something does not change though. And that is the working style of people. I would like to assume that it is very difficult to change one's work habits. Especially if one has spent a lifetime doing the same thing. Never asked questions. Why am I doing this? Am I doing the right thing? Can I perfect something? Over the last few months or so, I have come to believe that it is not that people dont want to ask questions. It is more that people are afraid of asking the questions. What is in it for me? Why should I even challenge what is working fine for me? This is perhaps the single biggest dilemma that has pierced the soul of every square shape. Name. Recognition. Appreciation. Fame. Wealth. Success. Most square shapes are weighed down by any of these. I do not claim to be immune to most of these. I admit. I do wish these. And no reason why anyone should not. But being imprisoned in these walls is not acceptable. A world without square shapes. A world without inhibitions. A world without restrictions. Yes. A world where ideas form the core and name is the edge. A world where one can work with freedom. Where one can work for learning. Where one can work for excellence. Where one can ask limitless questions. And yearn for infinite answers. Swami Vivekananda's message was "My name should not be made prominent. It is my ideas that I want to see realized." Exactly something that can break the shackles of these square shapes. Not name...but ideas. Not square shapes..but halls of creativity.

1 comment:

  1. very true
    any one who has had the opportunity to work long enough for an organization will relate to this

    ReplyDelete