Sunday, June 26, 2011

A pencil box ..

Ya. How old is too old? Quite a question. It applies to almost everything around me. Socks, wrist watch, beliefs, disappointment on watching favorite teams lose, and even a college flame. One of my friends keeps telling me its old news. Grow up. Well. Not just yet. How old is too old? And how would I know? One does not give up on such things. I guess they kind of grow old on you. Something in you hangs on to it. Or so I would like to believe. What drives this sentimental, and sometimes melodramatic sense of holding on to things and emotions? Why does it become difficult to accept it is just too old. May be because deep down, you want it to grow better? Like old wine ...

Looking at some old snaps, old letters, and old incidents, I think of how things could have been had I acted differently. Not saying something. Not doing something. Saying something that I should not have. Doing something that I should not have. I dont have many regrets. A couple, yes. And I can only hope that I get to correct atleast that one thing. You can guess what it could be. I am afraid I will not get another chance. So I hold on to these old things. Not because they remind me of my miseries, but because they mirror my joy. The most classic example being my pencil box which shared my trials and tribulations from first grade to the last day of my undergrad studies. It holds safely all my secrets and adventures over 16 years. In fact, my closest friends know about that pencil box too. I guess even they remember it simply because of its longevity.

I dont know why I chose to write about my pencil box today. May be because I needed some comfort. One which that pencil box gave me for all those years. Some one to simply say that I am by your side. Some one to simply say that I will be by your side no matter what. I really dont know. Closing thoughts. None better than what that pencil box had written on it beside a Dennis the Menace engraving. “Live For Today...Plan For Tomorrow...Party Tonight..!!!” Sigh.. I just have a work meeting.

2 comments:

  1. very sweetly written.

    btw I am one of the sketchers for that denise.
    green pencil box - with maroon and green china pens...that box has gone all the distance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've held on to a few things myself....have had a scrooge Mcduck lucky coin for a while now...few ink pens...owned a pair of jeans for 8+ years and still using it...etc..the list goes on..

    ReplyDelete