Sunday, November 1, 2009

What does a question answer??

It is a nice Sunday morning. I wake up later than usual. The fact that the clocks adjusted for daylight savings didnt make matters any simpler. My mom calls on me. And I have to listen to the usual story. That I havent had a haircut since six months. That I havent been paying attention to tidying things up at my place. That I havent called some distant aunt of mine since I dont remember when. That I look more skinny than the last time she saw me in a fifteen inch screen. Thats that. After a late start, I go out for lunch. Few hours later, I am back. I discuss with Alyosha plans for the holiday season. Both of us seem to cant wait for the holiday season to begin. I sit to write today's piece. And I dont know what to. Has been an uneventful day so far. Thinking what to write. My head turns around scanning the entire room. And then it settles back on to the keyboard. As I am about to type the first character of a piece of which I have no idea, I am distracted by all the signs and symbols on it....

Of all the signs and symbols, the ? I find the most appealing. It asks me a question. What would I do without it? It is not funny. It is not jubilant. But it is revealing. Over the last year or so, I have asked many questions. I think more than I have asked in all the years before them. Not sure why this change. May be the environment has affected me. May be the workplace has affected me. May be my loneliness has affected me. May be something else has affected me. I dont know. Going back to the earlier point. The question that ? asks me. What does a question answer?? Yes. What does a question answer?? No question is right or wrong. Every question may have an answer. May not have any answer. That does not take out the need for the question. Sometimes the question clouds one's thinking. Sometimes the question illuminates the space over the subject. Some like questions. Some do not. Some like the intention of the question itself. Some do not. Some like the timing of the question. Some do not. Some like the reasons behind the question. Some do not. In general, I think that people do not hate the ? per se. It is only their concern about the answer that makes them fret....

So, what does a question answer? It quenches the thirst for curiosity and creativity. It answers the agitated mind. It provides thrust to a cycle of thinking and acting. Hesitation in asking a question weakens the purpose of the question itself. Many things in life have been achieved simply because someone decided to ask a question. Many things in life are yet to be achieved simply because someone has not yet asked the question. I am glad that I am asking questions to myself. These questions enable me to explore hitherto unknown things about myself. Realize and understand things about me and all there is to my life. A ? may not bring finality to an issue on the outside. But it certainly does bring finality to the constant struggle about a thought within....

No comments:

Post a Comment