Monday, November 9, 2009

They make me laugh...

They make me laugh. I love them since my days as a toddler. They have been part of my life ever since. And I like them for one reason only. They are funny. Alone they are good. Together they are great. Dont know if there exists any other relationship like theirs. Dynamic. Rib tickling. Fascinating. Rarely does a day go by when I dont like to see them. No moment remains dull. No moment remains gloomy when they are around. To say they are my favorite is an understatement. They are more like friends. I remember Mom telling me that when I was a kid, I spent hours in front of the television watching them. Every act was funny. Every act was refreshing. I like both of them. The big guy has his "never say die" attitude. He always keep going. His big ears. His cheeks. And ofcourse his whiskers. His appearance itself brings out a laugh. And when he raises his eyebrows in deep thought, I wonder if he can think beyond the little guy. Indeed, he has a nice girl friend. And his road side friends. And once in a while, he does participate in a nice feline gathering. I like the little guy for his "can take him on" attitude. No matter what the odds. No matter what the obstacles. Whatever the big guy throws at him, he would be upto it, if not better it. He can wriggle his way out of almost every situation. Everytime they trade jabs, I laugh. It is not about their fights. It is all about their quick wit. It is all about their creativity. It is all about their constantness. It is about their camarederie. You must have guessed by now. Yes. I am talking about them. The cat and the mouse....

Tom and Jerry. Isnt it fascinating? They hate each other. Cant stand the sight of each other. Throw everything possible at each other. And with every act, they make me laugh. Make me forget all worries and sorrows for those brief moments. Some find great meaning in their metaphor. The little guy always wins. Their tale has some universality in it. The world is divided into two sections. The winners and losers. The gifted and the less talented. The rich and the poor. The lucky ones and the unlucky ones. And therein the victory of the mouse brings some cheer and hope for the second lot. But I feel there is something else about them that draws me to them. One without the other is not even half of his brilliance. I dont know if it is possible for anyone to think of one and not the other. As diverse as they are, they complement each other. They complete each other. I already owe them for giving me so much cheer. But if I could ask them to give me one more thing, then I would ask for their spirit and freedom. Tom and Jerry forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment